Sunday, November 27, 2011

Great quotes (part 2)

So I was on a plane the other day and I was reading the book Outliers by Malcom Gladwell.  Great book.  Highly recommend it.  Only problem?  I finished the book and I still had 4 hours left on the plane.  And I couldn't sleep.  Fantastic.  Okay, what the #$*& do I do now?  Hmmm.

Oh yeah - I have some old This Rock magazines stashed in my backpack.  That should kill some time.  So, every issue there is a section with discussion on a selected piece of artwork.  There was a letter in the May/June 2011 issue responding to the previous issue’s art column, discussing the idea that art for its own sake just for the artist to declare his existence is primitive.  Which brings me to my great quote:
The bare "assertion of the self’s presence" which is embedded in the creation and experience of art is therefore not so much a "primitive" but a primal, essential, and fundamental sort of communication.  And if it is barbaric for artists to assert their existence that way, then God, who sounds the great I AM through all Creation, is the chief Barbarian of them all.
                                                                                                  - Michael Schrauzer

Awesome.

1 comment:

  1. I like the quote you've chosen. One could argue most Art through the ages from Lascaux to graffiti artists is a way to assert existence and communicate. The oft-used phrase "a picture is worth a thousand words" further illustrates this excellent and universal form of communication (and, like all other forms of communication, is open to the audience's interpretation).

    ReplyDelete